Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Integration

This entry is about 5 months too late... but as they say, better late than never.




"Now, we begin yoga"

The first sutra in Patanjali's yoga sutras is one of my favorites. It is my mantra - a constant reminder to remain present and in the moment. And always at my disposal, as I journey through this sometimes difficult and uneasy life, I know that I have the tools necessary to live healthier and happier. The first step is usually the most difficult one. Not just making the decision in my mind, but taking the necessary action(s). This is what yoga has taught me - that I am in full control of my life, my destiny, my happiness.


Demoing Prasarita Padottanasana C with the help of my teacher, Paul Dallaghan.


I stepped into my first yoga class in early 2008 at Still Yoga in Silverlake, California. While I enjoyed the class, it wasn't until late 2008, early 2009 where I began to develop a consistent practice. This was certainly the most difficult and dark period of my life. I was battling through addictions and an extremely difficult breakup; happy to loathe in self pity and play the victim in my "story". It was such a selfish place to be.

At the time, I started going to therapy and AA. While both of these were instrumental in helping me get back on track, it was the yoga that struck something very deep and profound in me. Not only was I detoxing my abused and neglected body, the yoga was opening my mind and soul. I remember my therapist telling me that she thought yoga was a great addition to therapy and AA; she was adamant however, that it couldn't stand alone in my road to recovery. I disagreed.

Fast forward four years. So much has changed in my life. I am no longer the victim but can sincerely say that I am living from a place of authenticity. I owe a lot of where I am today to my practice and all the amazing teachers that I've had an opportunity to learn from. You have all truly inspired me and for that I am so grateful. The yoga has created much clarity for me and allowed me to make better decisions in my life.

Sirsasana I (headstand) during last class led class at Yoga Thailand. I can't wait to go back.


While my trip to Asia and teacher training held many life lessons, the biggest lesson has been one of integration. How do I remain in the space of complete openness and vulnerability in my everyday life? This is certainly why it's called "practice". There is no silver bullet or panacea; just practice, discipline, and a lot of hard work.


Myself, Peter, Heather, and Elyse - friends from YTT.


Looking forward to my next adventure but til then I will continue to write about my journey with yoga in this blog. A place to reflect not only on my personal practice but my road to teaching and sharing this gift with others. A huge thanks to my friends, family, and the universe for supporting me through this transition.

 Namaste!




No comments:

Post a Comment